ON A TIRED HOUSEWIFE
An anonymous poem
- ERE lies
a poor woman who was always tired,
- She lived in a house where help wasn't hired:
- Her last words on earth were: 'Dear friends, I am going
- To where there's no cooking, or washing, or sewing,
- For everything there is exact to my wishes,
- For where they don't eat there's no washing of dishes.
- I'll be where loud anthems will always be ringing,
- But having no voice I'll be quit of the singing.
- Don't mourn for me now, don't mourn for me never,
- I am going to do nothing for ever and ever.'