An anonymous poem
- E Gods!
the raptures of that night!
- What fierce convulsions of delight!
- How in each other's arms involv'd
- We lay confounded, and dissolved!
- Bodies mingling, sexes blending,
- Which should most be lost contending,
- Darting fierce and flaming kisses,
- Plunging into boundless blisses;
- Our bodies, and our souls on fire.
- Tost by a tempest of Desire;
- Till with utmost fury driven,
- Down, at once, we sunk to heaven.
"The Enjoyment" is reprinted
from Poetica Erotica. Ed. T.R. Smith. New York: Crown