by: Karle Wilson Baker
- hree of them walk together
- Joyous and fair and high,
- Through the still, heavenly weather
- Up in the summer sky ...
- Under their feet are the fountains
- The night-bird's heart outpours
- Flooding the mimic mountains
- Of the shadowy sycamores.
- Over the sky forever
- She leadeth her comrades sweet;
- No dream of our mortal fever
- Troubleth her straying feet.
- She lifteth the years from my shoulders,
- She looseth the weight from my wings;
- Long hidden from all beholders
- An old, sealed fountain sings....
- Three of them walk together--
- She is the fairest of three;
- And sweet as the heavenly weather
- She maketh the heart of me!
MORE POEMS BY KARLE WILSON BAKER
|"Altair" is reprinted from Blue Smoke. Karle Wilson Baker. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1919.