WHO CAROUSED IN DIRT AND WAS CORRECTED BY HIS UNCLE
by: Hilaire Belloc (1870-1953)
- is Uncle came on Franklin Hyde
- Carousing in the Dirt.
- He Shook him hard from Side to Side
- And Hit him till it Hurt,
- Exclaiming, with a Final Thud,
- "Take that! Abandoned Boy!
- For Playing with Disgusting Mud
- As though it were a Toy!"
- From Franklin Hyde’s adventure, learn
- To pass your Leisure Time
- In Cleanly Merriment, and turn
- From Mud and Ooze and Slime
- And every form of Nastiness
- But, on the other Hand,
- Children in ordinary Dress
- May always play with Sand.
POEMS BY HILAIRE BELLOC
|"Franklin Hyde" is reprinted from Cautionary Tales for Children. Hilaire Belloc. 1907.