I HAVE APPROACHED THE GULFS PROFOUND
by: Gustavo Adolfo Becquer (1836-1870)
- have approached the gulfs profound
- Of earth and heaven,
- And gauged their depths or with my eyes
- Or with my mind.
- But when I neared a heart's abyss
- And bent to behold it,
- My soul and my eyes drew back
- So deep it was, so dark!
- --Translated by Mary A. Ward
MORE POEMS BY GUSTAVO ADOLFO BECQUER
|"I Have Approached the Gulfs Profound" is reprinted from "A Spanish Romanticist: Gustavo Becquer." Macmillan's Magazine, February, 1883.