I WILL GIVE YOU A CHARM AGAINST SORROW
by: Elsa Barker (1869-1954)
- WILL give you a charm against sorrow: smile at the kisses of Pain.
- She is a sensitive lover and likes not to be flouted.
- I could give you a spell for absence, to bring a loved one to you;
- But I refrain, fearing you might love me.
- I have love-philtres in one of my solar cupboards.
- Should you put one of my powders in an angel's cup, you would dream you had found your counterpart behind the grating of eternity, and seek to tear it down.
- The peddler of love-philtres is more dangerous than Lucifer, who also was a light-bearer.
POEMS BY ELSA BARKER
|"I Will Give You a Charm Against Sorrow" is reprinted from Songs of a Vagrom Angel. Elsa Barker. New York: Mitchell Kennerley, 1916.