by: Hilaire Belloc (1870-1953)
- ord Ali-Baba was a Turk
- Who hated every kind of work,
- And would repose for hours at ease
- With Houris seated on his knees.
- A happy life!Until, one day
- Mossoo Alphonse Effendi Bey
- (A Younger Turk: the very cream
- And essence of the New Regime)
- Dispelled this Oriental dream
- By granting him a place at Court,
- High Coffee-grinder to the Porte,
- In which exalted Post
- His Lordship yielded up the ghost.
POEMS BY HILAIRE BELLOC
|"Lord Ali-Baba" is reprinted from More Peers. Hilaire Belloc. London: Stephen Swift, 1911.