by: Hilaire Belloc (1870-1953)
- Horse, Lord Epsom did bestride
- With mastery and quiet pride.
- He dug his spurs into its hide.
- The Horse,discerning it was pricked,
- Incontinently bucked and kicked,
- A thing that no one could predict!
- Lord Epsom clearly understood
- The High-bred creature's nervous mood,
- As only such a horseman could.
- Dismounting, he was heard to say
- That it was kinder to delay
- His pleasure to a future day.
- He had the Hunter led away.
POEMS BY HILAIRE BELLOC
|"Lord Epsom" is reprinted from More Peers. Hilaire Belloc. London: Stephen Swift, 1911.