THE LIVING FLAME
by: Charles Baudelaire
pass before me, these Eyes full of light,
- Eyes made magnetic by some angel wise;
- The holy brothers pass before my sight,
- And cast their diamond fires in my dim eyes.
- They keep me from all sin and error grave,
- They set me in the path whence Beauty came;
- They are my servants, and I am their slave,
- And all my soul obeys the living flame.
- Beautiful Eyes that gleam with mystic light
- As candles lighted at full noon; the sun
- Dims not your flame phantastical and bright.
- You sing the dawn; they celebrate life done;
- Marching you chaunt my soul's awakening hymn,
- Stars that no sun has ever made grow dim!
MORE POEMS BY CHARLES BAUDELAIRE
'The Living Flame' is reprinted
from The Poems and Prose Poems of Charles Baudelaire.
Ed. James Huneker. New York: Brentano's, 1919.