by: Gustavo Adolfo Becquer (1836-1870)
- f on thy balcony thou seest thy flowers
- Quiver and sway,
- And thinkest that murmuring through them
- Sigheth the wind,
- Know then that hidden 'neath their leafy green
- 'Tis I that sigh!
- If o'er thy shoulder thou hearest a murmur
- Vaguely resounding,
- And think'st by thy name there hath called thee
- Some distant voice,
- Know that amid the shadows which surround thee
- 'Tis I that call!
- If thy heart, waking in the depths of night,
- Quivers and sinks,
- As on thy lips thou feel'st a breath,
- A breath of flame,
- Know that unseen beside thee
- 'Tis I that breathe!
- --Translated by Mary A. Ward
MORE POEMS BY GUSTAVO ADOLFO BECQUER
|"'Tis I" is reprinted from "A Spanish Romanticist: Gustavo Becquer." Macmillan's Magazine, February, 1883.