ADIEU TO COÏMBRA
by: Luis Vas de Camões
- WEET lucent
waters of Mondego's stream,
- Of my Remembrance restful jouissance,
- Where far-fet, lingering, traitorous Esperance,
- Longwhile misled me in a blinding Dream;
- From you I part, yea, still I'll ne'er misdeem
- That long-drawn Memories which your charms enhance
- Forbid me changing and, in every chance,
- E'en as I farther speed I nearer seem.
- Well may my Fortunes hale this instrument
- Of Soul o'er new strange regions wide and side,
- Offered to winds and watery element;
- But hence my Spirit, by you 'companied,
- Borne on the nimble wings that Reverie lent,
- Flies home and bathes her, Waters, in your tide.
--Translated by R.F. Burton
MORE POEMS BY LUIS VAZ DE CAMÕES
"Adieu to Coïmbra"
is reprinted from Hispanic Anthology: Poems Translated from
the Spanish by English and North American Poets. Ed. Thomas
Walsh. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1920.