by: Edward Carpenter (1844-1929)
- T night
in each others arms,
- Content, overjoyed, resting deep deep down in the darkness,
- Lo! the heavens opened and He appeared--
- Whom no mortal eye may see,
- Whom no eye clouded with Care,
- Whom none who seeks after this or that, whom none who has
not escaped from self.
There--in the region of Equality, in the world of Freedom no
- Standing as a lofty peak in heaven above the clouds,
- From below hidden, yet to all who pass into that region most
- He the Eternal appeared.
POEMS BY EDWARD CARPENTER
"Love's Vision" is reprinted
from The Oxford Book of English Mystical Verse. Ed. Nicholson
& Lee. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1917.