by: Arthur Shearly Cripps
(In dread of Famine)
- ERE, Pan,
on grey rock slab we set for Thee
- Thy Feast--the White Cake and the Red in Cup--
- Shepherd and Lamb, we, lost goats, offer up
- In pastoral wise Thine own Divinity.
- The scared moon dips, the hardy sun comes up
- To spy our Secret from yon cloudy hill:
- O Pan that Thou by cloud and sun mayst fill
- Our hills with food, we lift Thy Cake and Cup.
- Heart of all good in men and beasts and earth,
- Here on the hill our hearts, we lift them up:
- Life-Blood and Flesh--White Cake and Red in Cup--
- We break and pour Thee our drought and dearth!
MORE POEMS BY ARTHUR SHEARLY CRIPPS
"Missa Viatoris" is reprinted
from The Oxford Book of English Mystical Verse. Ed. Nicholson
& Lee. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1917.