THE HOLY OF HOLIES
by: G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936)
father, though thine eyes
- Shine with hoary mysteries,
- Canst thou tell what in the heart
- Of a cowslip blossom lies?
- Smaller than all lives that be,
- Secret as the deepest sea,
- Stands a little house of seeds,
- Like an elfins granary.
- Speller of the stones and weeds,
- Skilled in Natures crafts and creeds,
- Tell me what is in the heart
- Of the smallest of the seeds.
- God Almighty, and with Him
- Cherubim and Seraphim,
- Filling all eternity--
- Adonai Elohim.
POEMS BY G.K. CHESTERTON
"The Holy of Holies" is
reprinted from The Oxford Book of English Mystical Verse.
Ed. Nicholson & Lee. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1917.