by: James H. Cousins
- HEY said:
She dwelleth in some place apart,
- Immortal Truth, within whose eyes
- Who looks may find the secret of the skies
- And healing for lifes smart!
- I sought Her in loud caverns underground,--
- On heights where lightnings flashed and fell;
- I scaled high Heaven; I stormed the gates of Hell,
- But Her I never found
- Till thro the tumults of my Quest I caught
- A whisper: Here, within thy heart,
- I dwell; for I am thou: behold, thou art
- The Seeker--and the Sought.
POEMS BY JAMES H. COUSINS
"The Quest" is reprinted
from The Oxford Book of English Mystical Verse. Ed. Nicholson
& Lee. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1917.