LET OTHERS SING OF KNIGHTS AND PALADINES
by: Samuel Daniel (1562-1619)
POEMS BY SAMUEL DANIEL
- ET others sing of Knights and
- In agèd accents and untimely words,
- Paint shadows in imaginary lines,
- Which well the reach of their high wit records:
- But I must sing of thee, and those fair eyes
- Authentic shall my verse in time to come;
- When yet th' unborn shall say, Lo, where she lies!
- Whose beauty made him speak, that else was dumb!
- These are the arcs, the trophies I erect,
- That fortify thy name against old age;
- And these thy sacred virtues must protect
- Against the Dark, and Time's consuming rage.
- Though th' error of my youth in them appear,
- Suffice, they show I lived, and loved thee dear.