by: Hilda Doolittle (1886-1961)
POEMS BY HILDA DOOLITTLE
- OR skin nor hide nor fleece
- Shall cover you,
- Nor curtain of crimson nor fine
- Shelter of cedar-wood be over you,
- Nor the fir-tree
- Nor the pine.
- Nor sight of whin nor gorse
- Nor river-yew,
- Nor fragrance of flowering bush,
- Nor wailing of reed-bird to waken you,
- Nor of linnet,
- Nor of thrush.
- Nor word nor touch nor sight
- Of lover, you
- Shall long through the night but for this:
- The roll of the full tide to cover you
- Without question,
- Without kiss.