MY SPOTLESS LOVE
by: Samuel Daniel (1562-1619)
POEMS BY SAMUEL DANIEL
- Y spotless love hovers with purest
- About the temples of the proudest frame,
- Where blaze those lights, fairest of earthly things,
- Which clear our clouded world with brightest flame.
- My ambitious thoughts, confinèd in her face,
- Affect no honour but what she can give;
- My hopes do rest in limits of her grace;
- I weigh no comfort unless she relieve.
- For she, that can my heart imparadise,
- Holds in her fairest hand what dearest is;
- My Fortune's wheel 's the circle of her eyes,
- Whose rolling grace deign once a turn of bliss.
- All my life's sweet consists in her alone;
- So much I love the most Unloving one.