by: Danske Dandridge (1854-1914)
- HY, from the far-away
- Did you send such a waif to me,
- You seer with the long-reaching eyes,
- You soul with the mage's vision?
- Oh, on a lavish day,
- My dream went out to grope,
- Blind, on the hills of Hope,
- And there, by a fond misprison,
- The waif of your spirit found her,
- Kissed her, clasped her, and bound her.
- Your captive dream to be.
- On an Indian-summer day
- When Joy, before she dies,
- Pants with a wild death passion,
- My songs from the hills arise
- To greet you in lover's fashion.
- O Captor that art not free,
- Bound by a dream's control
- Do you miss your straying soul,
- You body so far away?
POEMS BY DANSKE DANDRIDGE
"Telepathy" is reprinted
from Joy, and Other Poems. Danske Dandridge. New York:
G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1900.