by: Danske Dandridge (1854-1914)
- HALL we know in the Hereafter
- All the reasons that are hid?
- Does the butterfly remember
- What the caterpillar did?
- How he waited, toiled, and suffered
- To become the chrysalid.
- When we creep so slowly upward;
- When each day new burden brings;
- When we strive so hard to conquer
- Vexing sublunary things--
- When we wait and toil and suffer,
- We are working for our wings.
POEMS BY DANSKE DANDRIDGE
"Wings" is reprinted from
Joy, and Other Poems. Danske Dandridge. New York: G.P.
Putnam's Sons, 1900.