THE POWER OF MUSIC
by: John Fletcher
- RPHEUS with his lute made trees,
- And the mountain-tops that freeze,
- Bow themselves when he did sing:
- To his music plants and flowers
- Ever sprung; as sun and showers
- There had made a lasting spring.
- Everything that heard him play,
- Even the billows of the sea,
- Hung their heads, and then lay by.
- In sweet music is such art,
- Killing care and grief of heart
- Fall asleep, or, hearing, die.
POEMS BY JOHN FLETCHER
'The Power of Music' was originally
published in King Henry VIII (1623).