by: John Fletcher
- H, fair
sweet goddess, queen of love,
- Soft and gentle as thy doves,
- Humble-eyed, and ever ruing
- Those poor hearts, their loves pursuing!
- Oh, thou mother of delights,
- Crowner of all happy nights,
- Star of dear content and pleasure,
- Of mutual loves and endless treasure!
- Accept this sacrifice we bring,
- Thou continual youth and spring;
- Grant this lady her desires,
- And every hour we'll crown thy fires.
POEMS BY JOHN FLETCHER
'To Venus' was originally published
in The Mad Lover (1647).