IF LAWYER'S HAND IS FEE'D
by: John Gay (1685-1732)
- FOX may steal your hens, sir,
- A whore your health and pence, sir,
- Your daughter rob your chest, sir,
- Your wife may steal your rest, sir,
- A thief your goods and plate.
- But this is all but picking,
- With rest, pence, chest and chicken;
- It ever was decreed, sir,
- If lawyer's hand is fee'd, sir,
- He steals your whole estate.
POEMS BY JOHN GAY
"If Lawyer's Hand is Fee'd"
is reprinted from The Beggar's Opera. John Gay. New York:
Doubleday, Page and Company, 1921.