ONE DAWN SHE WOKE ME----
by: Zona Gale (1874-1938)
- NE dawn
she woke me when the darkness lay
- Faint on the Summer fields. The air
- Was like a question. Green was grey
- With dew distilled in delitesence where
- Covert, the night-folk wrought. She said: "Dear one,
- It is our holiday." Forth we went
- Finding new kindred, new bequest of sun,
- Inheriting again the firmament.
- Long ago . . .
- The old years lie upon her grave like flowers.
- The alchemy of hours
- Has made me someone whom she would not know.
- How strangely that frail morning lives and towers
- When I am other and when she lies low.
POEMS BY ZONA GALE
"One Dawn She Woke Me"
is reprinted from The Secret Way. Zona Gale. New York:
Macmillan Co., 1921.