LINES WRITTEN IN AN ALBUM;
by: Bret Harte (1836-1902)
- ROSE --
thrown on the drifting tide
- That laughs along the tinkling brook,--
- Tho' here and there it idly glide,
- Finds rest within some sheltered nook:
- And thus some heart tossed on the stream
- Of time -- impelled by passion's breeze
- And folly's breath -- may find a dream
- Of hope -- upon thy breast, -- Elise!
POEMS BY BRET HARTE
"Elise" is reprinted from
The Writings of Bret Harte, Vol. XX. Ed. Charles Meeker
Kozlay. Cambridge: Riverside Press, 1914. This poem was originally
published in the Overland Monthly, September, 1902.