FORMS OF HEROES
by: Nathaniel Hawthorne
MORE POEMS BY NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE
- E Forms
of Heroes slumb'ring here,
- Beneath these tombstones cold and drear,
- On which the moss of age has slept,
- Since one fond heart has o'er you wept,
- Oh tell me, if a Mortal's prayer,
- Can ever wake your spirits, where
- They sleep the dark dread sleep of death.
- Tell me if now the laurel wreath,
- Which Glory twin'd around your head,
- Can wake amid the silent dead,
- One glance of that proud martial blaze
- Which led your feet in slaughter's ways.