MY DARLING, WE SAT TOGETHER
by: Heinrich Heine (1799-1856)
- Y darling,
we sat together,
- We two, in our frail boat;
- The night was calm o'er the wide sea
- Whereon we were afloat.
- The Specter-Island, the lovely,
- Lay dim in the moon's mild glance;
- There sounded sweetest music,
- There waved the shadowy dance.
- It sounded sweeter and sweeter,
- It waved there to and fro;
- But we slid past forlornly
- Upon the great sea-flow.
POEMS BY HEINRICH HEINE
This English translation of "Mein
Liebchen, Wir Sassen Zusammen" was composed by James Thomson