THE DARKEN'D VEIL
by: Nathaniel Hawthorne
MORE POEMS BY NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE
- H could
I raise the darken'd veil
- Which hides my future life from me,
- Could unborn ages slowly sail
- Before my view -- and could I see
- My every action painted there,
- To cast one look I would not dare.
- There poverty and grief might stand,
- And dark Despair's corroding hand,
- Would make me seek the lonely tomb
- To slumber in its endless gloom.
- Then let me never cast a look,
- Within Fate's fix'd mysterious book.