translated into English by: Laurence Hope (1865-1904)
- OW one loves them
- These wide horizons; whether Desert or Sea,--
- Vague and vast and infinite; faintly clear--
- Surely, hid in the far away, unknown "There,"
- Lie the things so longed for and found not, found not here.
- Only where some passionate, level land
- Stretches itself in reaches of golden sand,
- Only where the sea line is joined to the sky-line, clear,
- Beyond the curve of ripple or white foamed crest,--
- Shall the weary eyes
- Distressed by the broken skies,--
- Broken by Minaret, mountain, or towering tree,--
- Shall the weary eyes be assuaged,--be assuaged,--and rest.
POEMS BY LAURENCE HOPE
|"The Plains" is reprinted from India's Love Lyrics. Trans. Laurence Hope. New York: John Lane Co., 1906.