AT THAT HOUR WHEN ALL THINGS HAVE REPOSE
by: James Joyce (1882-1941)
- T that hour
when all things have repose,
- O lonely watcher of the skies,
- Do you hear the night wind and the sighs
- Of harps playing unto Love to unclose
- The pale gates of sunrise?
- When all things repose do you alone
- Awake to hear the sweet harps play
- To Love before him on his way,
- And the night wind answering to antiphon
- Till night is overgone?
- Play on, invisible harps, unto Love,
- Whose way in heaven is aglow
- At that hour when soft lights come and go,
- Soft sweet music in the air above
- And in the earth below.
POEMS BY JAMES JOYCE
'At that hour when all things have
repose' is reprinted from Chamber Music. James Joyce.
London: Elkin Mathews, 1907.