- OU never loved me, and yet to save me,
- One unforgetable night you gave me
- Such chill embraces as the snow-covered heights
- Receive from clouds, in northern, Auroral nights.
- Such keen communion as the frozen mere
- Has with immaculate moonlight, cold and clear.
- And all desire,
- Life failing fire,
- Died slowly, faded surely, and sank to rest
- Against the delicate chillness of your breast.
- TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH BY LAURENCE HOPE (1865-1904)
MORE POEMS BY JUMA
|"Kashmiri Song" is reprinted from India's Love Lyrics. Trans. Laurence Hope. New York: John Lane Co., 1906.