THIS HEART THAT FLUTTERS NEAR MY HEART
by: James Joyce (1882-1941)
- HIS heart
that flutters near my heart
- My hope and all my riches is,
- Unhappy when we draw apart
- And happy between kiss and kiss;
- My hope and all my riches--yes!--
- And all my happiness.
- For there, as in some mossy nest
- The wrens will divers treasures keep,
- I laid those treasures I possessed
- Ere that mine eyes had learned to weep.
- Shall we not be as wise as they
- Though love live but a day?
POEMS BY JAMES JOYCE
"This heart that flutters near
my heart" is reprinted from Chamber Music. James
Joyce. London: Elkin Mathews, 1907.