by: John Lyly (1553-1606)
- INCH him,
pinch him, black and blue,
- Saucy mortals must not view
- What the queen of stars is doing,
- Nor pry into our fairy wooing.
- Pinch him blue--
- And pinch him black--
- Let him not lack
- Sharp nails to pinch him blue and red,
- Till sleep has rocked his addlehead.
- For the trespass he hath done,
- Spots o'er all his flesh shall run.
- Kiss Endymion, kiss his eyes,
- Then to our midnight heidegyes.
POEMS BY JOHN LYLY
"Fairy Revels" was originally
published in Lyly's Endymion (1591).