TO LUCASTA, ON GOING TO THE WARS
by: Richard Lovelace (1618-1658)
- ELL me not,
Sweet, I am unkind,
- That from the nunnery
- Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
- To war and arms I fly.
- True, a new mistress now I chase,
- The first foe in the field;
- And with a stronger faith embrace
- A sword, a horse, a shield.
- Yet this inconstancy is such
- As thou, too, shalt adore;
- I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
- Loved I not Honor more.
POEMS BY RICHARD LOVELACE
'To Lucasta, on Going to the Wars'
is reprinted from English Poems. Ed. Edward Chauncey Baldwin.
New York: American Book Company, 1908.