IN PORTUGAL, 1912
by: Alice Meynell (1847-1922)
- ND will
they cast the altars down,
- Scatter the chalice, crush the bread?
- In field, in village, and in town
- He hides an unregarded head;
- Waits in the corn-lands far and near,
- Bright in His sun, dark in His frost,
- Sweet in the vine, ripe in the ear--
- Lonely unconsecrated Host.
- In ambush at the merry board
- The Victim lurks unsacrificed;
- The mill conceals the harvests Lord,
- The wine-press holds the unbidden Christ.
POEMS BY ALICE MEYNELL
"In Portugal, 1912" is
reprinted from The Oxford Book of English Mystical Verse.
Ed. Nicholson & Lee. Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1917.