by: Herman Melville (1819-1891)
- ANGING from
- Slowing swaying (such the law),
- Gaunt the shadow on your green,
- The cut is on the crown
- (Lo, John Brown),
- And the stabs shall heal no more.
- Hidden in the cap
- Is the anguish none can draw;
- So your future veils its face,
- But the streaming beard is shown
- (Weird John Brown),
- The meteor of the war.
POEMS BY HERMAN MELVILLE
"The Portent" was originally
published in Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War. Herman
Melville. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1866.