by: Maurice Maeterlinck
- Y soul her unused hands to pray
- Folds, that hide the world away:
- Lord, my broken dreams complete,
- That Thine angels' lips repeat.
- While beneath my wearied eyes
- She breathes the prayers that in her rise--
- Prayers that find my lids a tomb,
- And whose lilies may not bloom:
- While in dreams her barren breast
- Hushes 'neath my gaze to rest--
- Still her eyes from perils cower,
- Such as wake by falsehood's power.
MORE POEMS BY MAETERLINCK
This English translation of 'Vigil'
is reprinted from Poems by Maurice Maeterlinck. Trans.
Bernard Miall. New York: Dodd, Mead and Company, 1915.