by: George Peele
- OT sun,
cool fire, tempered with sweet air,
- Black shade, fair nurse, shadow my white hair:
- Shine, sun; burn, fire; breathe, air, and ease me;
- Black shade, fair nurse, shroud me, and please me:
- Shadow, my sweet nurse, keep me from burning,
- Make not my glad cause cause of mourning.
- Let not my beauty's fire
- Inflame unstaid desire,
- Nor pierce any bright eye
- That wandereth lightly.
POEMS BY GEORGE PEELE
'Bethsabe Bathing' was originally
published in David and Bethsabe (1599).