A BETTER RESURRECTION
by: Christina Rossetti
- HAVE no wit, no words, no tears;
- My heart within me like a stone
- Is numb'd too much for hopes or fears;
- Look right, look left, I dwell alone;
- I lift mine eyes, but dimm'd with grief
- No everlasting hills I see;
- My life is in the falling leaf:
- O Jesus, quicken me.
- My life is like a faded leaf,
- My harvest dwindled to a husk:
- Truly my life is void and brief
- And tedious in the barren dusk;
- My life is like a frozen thing,
- No bud nor greenness can I see:
- Yet rise it shall--the sap of Spring;
- O Jesus, rise in me.
- My life is like a broken bowl,
- A broken bowl that cannot hold
- One drop of water for my soul
- Or cordial in the searching cold;
- Cast in the fire the perish'd thing;
- Melt and remould it, till it be
- A royal cup for Him, my King:
- O Jesus, drink of me.
MORE POEMS BY CHRISTINA ROSSETTI
"A Better Resurrection"
is reprinted from Goblin Market and other Poems. Christina
Rossetti. Cambridge: Macmillan, 1862.