by: Christina Rossetti
- Y heart is like a singing bird
- Whose nest is in a water'd shoot;
- My heart is like an apple-tree
- Whose boughs are bent with thick-set fruit;
- My heart is like a rainbow shell
- That paddles in a halcyon sea;
- My heart is gladder than all these,
- Because my love is come to me.
- Raise me a daïs of silk and down;
- Hang it with vair and purple dyes;
- Carve it in doves and pomegranates,
- And peacocks with a hundred eyes;
- Work it in gold and silver grapes,
- In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;
- Because the birthday of my life
- Is come, my love is come to me.
MORE POEMS BY CHRISTINA ROSSETTI
"A Birthday" is reprinted
from Macmillan's Magazine (April 1861).