by: Christina Rossetti
MORE POEMS BY CHRISTINA ROSSETTI
- HE irresponsive silence of the
- The irresponsive sounding of the sea,
- Speak both one message of one sense to me:--
- Aloof, aloof, we stand aloof, so stand
- Thou too aloof, bound with the flawless band
- Of inner solitude; we bind not thee;
- But who from thy self-chain shall set thee free?
- What heart shall touch thy heart? What hand thy hand?
- And I am sometimes proud and sometimes meek,
- And sometimes I remember days of old
- When fellowship seem'd not so far to seek,
- And all the world and I seem'd much less cold,
- And at the rainbow's foot lay surely gold,
- And hope felt strong, and life itself not weak.