by: Christina Rossetti
- H why is heaven built so far,
- Oh why is earth set so remote?
- I cannot reach the nearest star
- That hangs afloat.
- I would not care to reach the moon,
- One round monotonous of change;
- Yet even she repeats her tune
- Beyond my range.
- I never watch the scatter'd fire
- Of stars, or sun's far-trailing train,
- But all my heart is one desire,
- And all in vain:
- For I am bound with fleshly bands,
- Joy, beauty, lie beyond my scope;
- I strain my heart, I stretch my hands,
- And catch at hope.
MORE POEMS BY CHRISTINA ROSSETTI
"De Profundis" is reprinted
from Poems. Christina Rossetti. London: Macmillan, 1891.