by: Christina Rossetti
- BLUE-EYED phantom far before
- Is laughing, leaping toward the sun:
- Like lead I chase it evermore,
- I pant and run.
- It breaks the sunlight bound on bound:
- Goes singing as it leaps along
- To sheep-bells with a dreamy sound
- A dreamy song.
- I laugh, it is so brisk and gay;
- It is so far before, I weep:
- I hope I shall lie down some day,
- Lie down and sleep.
MORE POEMS BY CHRISTINA ROSSETTI
"Fata Morgana" is reprinted
from Goblin Market, The Prince's Progress and Other Poems.
Christina Rosetti. London: Macmillan 1879.