SHE SAT AND SANG
by: Christina Rossetti
- HE sat and sang alway
- By the green margin of a stream,
- Watching the fishes leap and play
- Beneath the glad sunbeam.
- I sat and wept alway
- Beneath the moon's most shadowy beam,
- Watching the blossoms of the May
- Weep leaves into the stream.
- I wept for memory;
- She sang for hope that is so fair:
- My tears were swallowed by the sea;
- Her songs died in the air.
MORE POEMS BY CHRISTINA ROSSETTI
"She Sat and Sang" is
reprinted from Goblin Market, The Prince's Progress and Other
Poems. Christina Rosetti. London: Macmillan 1879.