A FAIR EUBOEAN SHORE
- HERE stretcheth by the sea
- A fair Euban shore, and o'er it creeps
- The vine of Bacchus, each day's growth complete.
- In morning brightness all the land is green
- With tendrils fair and spreading. Noontide comes,
- And then the unripe cluster forms apace:
- The day declines, and purple grow the grapes;
- At eve the whole bright vintage is brought in,
- And the mixed wine poured out.
POEMS BY SOPHOCLES
This English translation, by E.H.
Plumptre, of 'A Fair Euban Shore' is reprinted from Greek
Poets in English Verse. Ed. William Hyde Appleton. Cambridge:
The Riverside Press, 1893.