by: Edmund Spenser (1552-1599)
POEMS BY EDMUND SPENSER
- OST glorious Lord of Lyfe! that,
on this day,
- Didst make Thy triumph over death and sin;
- And, having harrowd hell, didst bring away
- Captivity thence captive, us to win:
- This joyous day, deare Lord, with joy begin;
- And grant that we, for whom thou diddest dye,
- Being with Thy deare blood clene washt from sin,
- May live for ever in felicity!
- And that Thy love we weighing worthily,
- May likewise love Thee for the same againe;
- And for Thy sake, that all lyke deare didst buy,
- With love may one another entertayne!
- So let us love, deare Love, lyke as we ought,
- --Love is the lesson which the Lord us taught.