RAPTURE -- TO LAURA
by: Friedrich Schiller
- ROM earth I seem to wing my flight,
- And sun myself in Heaven's pure light,
- When thy sweet gaze meets mine
- I dream I quaff ethereal dew,
- When mine own form I mirror'd view
- In those blue eyes divine!
- Blest notes from Paradise afar,
- Or strains from some benignant star
- Enchant my ravish'd ear;
- My Muse feels then the shepherd's hour
- When silv'ry tones of magic power
- Escape those lips so dear!
- Young Loves around thee fan their wings --
- Behind, the madden'd fir-tree springs,
- As when by Orpheus fir'd;
- The poles whirl round with swifter motion,
- When in the dance, like waves o'er Ocean,
- Thy footsteps float untir'd!
- Thy look, if it but beam with love,
- Could make the lifeless marble move,
- And hearts in rocks enshrine;
- My visions to reality
- Will turn, if, Laura, in thine eye
- I read -- that thou art mine!
MORE POEMS BY FRIEDRICH SCHILLER
"Rapture -- To Laura"
is reprinted from The Poems of Schiller. Trans. Edgar
A. Bowring. New York: Hurst & Company, 1872.