THE HARBOR OF DREAMS
by: Frank Dempster Sherman
- NLY a whispering
- Flutters the wings of the boat;
- Only a bird in the vale
- Lends to the silence a note
- Mellow, subdued, and remote:
- This is the twilight of peace,
- This is the hour of release,
- Free of all worry and fret,
- Clean of all care and regret,
- When like a bird in its nest
- Fancy lies folded to rest.
- This is the margin of sleep;
- Here let the anchor be cast;
- Here in forgetfulness deep,
- Now that the journey is past,
- Lower the sails from the mast.
- Here is the bay of content,
- Heaven and earth interblent;
- Here is the haven that lies
- Close to the gates of surprise;
- Here all like Paradise seems --
- Here is the harbor of dreams.
MORE POEMS BY FRANK DEMPSTER SHERMAN
"The Harbor of Dreams"
is reprinted from The Century, vol. 39, issue 6 (April