by: Royall Snow
I. A MELODY WITH SOMBRE
- IERROT draws
aside the willows
- As a curtain,
- And naïve Columbine steps through.
- In the moonlight--
- Like the twinkling of silver minnows
- The gurgling brook winks at Pierrot.
- He had come there before.
- II. DANSE MACABRE
- From a hidden orchestra
- Drifts in blurred melody the valse hesitation
- A dancer presses his partner's hand
- III. ACQUIESCENCE
- "No," whispers the woman
- And turns her head
- So that the moonlight falls on her bare throat.
POEMS BY ROYALL SNOW
"Watteau Panels" is reprinted
from Poetica Erotica. Ed. T.R. Smith. New York: Crown