ADULTERY IS MY NATURE
(from "The Revenger's
by: Cyril Tourneur (c.1575-1626)
POEMS BY CYRIL TOURNEUR
- DULTERY is my nature.
- Faith, if the truth were known, I was begot
- After some gluttonous dinner; some stirring dish
- Was my first father, when deep healths went round,
- And ladies' cheeks were painted red with wine,
- Their tongues, as short and nimble as their heels,
- Uttering words sweet and thick; and when the rose,
- Were merrily disposed to fall again.
- In such a whispering and withdrawing hour,
- When base male-bawds kept sentinel at stair-head,
- Was I stol'n softly. Oh damnation meet!
- The sin of feasts, drunken adultery!
- I feel it swell me; my revenge is just!
- I was begot in impudent wine and lust.